[R] Testing memory limits in R??

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Mon Jul 6 22:03:25 CEST 2009

On 7/6/2009 3:52 PM, Scott Zentz wrote:
> Hello Everyone,
>
>     We have recently purchased a server which has 64GB of memory running
> a 64bit OS and I have compiled R from source with the following config
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local/R-2.9.1 --enable-Rshlib
> --enable-BLAS-shlib --enable-shared --with-readline --with-iconv
> --with-x --with-tcktk --with-aqua --with-libpng --with-jpeglib
>
> and I would like to verify that I can use 55GB-60GB of the 64GB of
> memory within R. Does anyone know how this is possible? Will R be able
> to access that amount of memory from a single process? I am not an R
> user myself but I just wanted to test this before I turned the server
> over to the researchers..

Individual vectors are limited to 2^31-1 elements, and the elements are
8 bytes each in a double precision vector.  So executing

a <- numeric(2^30)

will use up 8 GB of memory.  You can try this with other variable names,
and see how often it succeeds:

b <- numeric(2^30) # total now 16 GB
c <- numeric(2^30) # total now 24 GB, etc.

Duncan Murdoch