[R] Dump plots to powerpoint?

Barry Rowlingson b.rowlingson at lancaster.ac.uk
Wed Jul 8 10:06:12 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 11:32 PM, Ben Bolker<bolker at ufl.edu> wrote:

>  Why not directly generate a large PNG file (which will be much better
> for line art than JPG anyway)?  Or EMF?
>
>  See http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=tips:graphics-misc:export
>
>  [Of course, this doesn't answer the original question ... to which I
> suspect the answer is "no".]

 So image generation is done, now we want to put them all into a
presentation (One image per slide? Titles?)

 Suggestions:

 1. Dump Powerpoint, learn LaTeX and beamer, your audience will be
happy. Including a bunch of image files? Trivial.

 2. Dump Powerpoint, use OpenOffice - the OO Impress file is a zip
file, one file of which is an XML description of the presentation, so
then you just have to create an XML file a bit like that that
specifies all your images. You could do this in R. It just needs a bit
of simple reverse engineering. Create a simple presentation like the
one you want to do with a few images in, then save, then unzip it,
figure it out, write a little template (using R's brew package
perhaps), then write a new XML file with all your images specified,
zip up, job done. Save it from OpenOffice as a Powerpoint file if you
really need to use Powerpoint.

 3. Okay, so you really want to use Powerpoint, in which case the
latest file format (the one with the 'x' at the end) should be some
kind of XML file which you might be able to reverse engineer in a
similar way to (2). Good luck with that.

Barry