[R] R regular expression to extract words with the query string.

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Wed Jul 8 16:08:42 CEST 2009

Try this:

library(gsubfn)
i <- "transcript:ENST0000112334 pid:ENSP000012345"
strapply(i, paste("\\w*", "ENSP", "\\w*", sep = ""), c, simplify = unlist)

This says to match any number (possibly zero) of word
characters followed by ENSP followed by more word
characters.  c just returns the match without
further processing and unlist unlists the result giving
a character vector (which otherwise would be a list).

See http://gsubfn.googlecode.com for more info.