[R] Compiling R-2.9.1 on Mac OS X 10.4

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Thu Jul 9 20:03:20 CEST 2009

On Jul 9, 2009, at 12:12 PM, Sinha, Raktim, DFCI wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I am trying to compile R-2.9.1 on Mac OS-X 10.4 using --enable-R-
> shlib.
>

> I am not comfortable with Mac/Linux environments and trying to
> follow the
> instructions from CRAN site to every detail.
>
> The Mac OS did not have a gcc (gcc -version did not work). So I did
> the
> following:
>

> ## For gcc 4.2 and Fortran 4.2.4 Compilers
>
> Download gcc-4.2-5566-darwin8-all.tar.gz from
> http://r.research.att.com/tools/#gcc42
>
> unpacked using: sudo tar fvxz gcc-4.2-5566-darwin8-all.tar.gz -C /
>
> Made gcc-4.2 default: sudo link gcc-4.2 gcc
>
> Made g++-4.2 default: sudo link g++-4.2 g++
>

> I downloaded the source and tried compiling using:
>
> ./configure --with-blas='-framework vecLib' --with-lapack --with-ICU \
>
>       --with-aqua --enable-R-framework --enable-R-shlib
>

> Got the following error:
>
> Configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables
>

> I have attached the compile.log file.
>
> I would really appreciate some help.

The log file did not survive the list spam filters, but is there a
particular reason that you are compiling from source?

A universal binary installation package (which is built using --enable-
R-shlib) is available from a CRAN mirror such as:

   http://cran.us.r-project.org/

You might want to review the OSX FAQ as well:

   http://cran.us.r-project.org/bin/macosx/RMacOSX-FAQ.html

If you really need to build from source, which is not for the feint of
heart, begin by reviewing section 2 of the FAQ.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz