[R] ' R ' - General Question (newbie)

Mike Prager mike.prager at noaa.gov
Fri Jul 10 19:35:36 CEST 2009

Jay Mistry <jaycomp at gmail.com> wrote:

> First-off, I apologize if this is the wrong list to post to, but I would
> like to install and try out 'R', as an alternative to 'SAS' . As a newbie,
> could you pl let me know about the following (in terms of online resources
> and print books)
>
> 1) Basics of 'R'
>
> 2) Where to download & How to install it on Windows (XP), and any needed
> add-on modules (for Data Analysis and Biostatistics procedures) + others
> similar to ODS of SAS.
>
> 2) Any print/ online documentation for the beginning user of R.

Gabor has given a useful suggestion: looking online.

You will find that R syntax (and mindset) are quite different
from SAS, so using an introductory text will save you time. I
think Peter Dalgaard's "Introductory Statistics with R" is quite
a good one, especially if you prefer something in the print
(rather than electronic) medium.

--
Mike Prager, NOAA, Beaufort, NC