[R] problem aligning barplot and scatter plot (ala 'layout' example)

Steve Jaffe sjaffe at riskspan.com
Fri Jul 10 20:45:23 CEST 2009

I'm trying just to do the x-barplot + scatterplot from the layout example.

The barplot does not come out aligned horizontally with the scatter plot,
although I am passing in the same xlim to both.

When I run the example it comes out correctly. I haven't figured out what
I'm doing differently, except that my layout is just two regions, one above
the other, rather than 4 regions.

Any ideas what might be wrong? Or suggestions for a simpler/more robust way
to plot a histogram alongside a scatterplot, with x-axes aligned?

Another question, is there a simple way to make the bars go down instead of
up (so putting the histogram underneath the scatter plot they would
essentially share a common x axis?)

Thanks