[R] zero cells in one variable in logistic regression

anna.bucharova bucharka at email.cz
Mon Jul 13 11:37:13 CEST 2009

Dear all.
I am sort of beginner with R. I do logistic regression with binomial
response variable and several continuous and categorical variables. In one
categorical variable, zero cell occures (2x2 table looks like
7 - 0
23 - 25
This leads to overestimating of odds ratio and inflated confidence interval
for odds for given variable. The variable is significant in univariate test.
I do not necessarilly need odd ratio, but I need the explained deviance by
this variable and I really want to keep this variable in the model. It
probably matters for explained deviance. How to treat this problem?
Thanks for help, Anna Bucharova