[R] R in rearranging equations

stenort stenort at merchantsconnected.org.uk
Mon Jul 13 15:23:08 CEST 2009

Hi,
can anyone tell me if R can be used to rearrange very complicated equations
in terms of one of the variables?
I have:

dx/dt = a*b*m*y*(1-x)-r*x

and, having set:

dy/dx = 0,

need to rearrange in terms of x. The problem I have is that I don't know how
to rearrange equations when the variables are not yet defined (I get
messages warning me that x etc can't be found). I'm not sure if R can
actually do this (though I know programs like Maxima can) but ideally the
solution we get should be in R. I am also aware that this isn't difficult to
solve by hand, but the remaining equations I have to work through have up to
double the number of variables.

Any help will be appreciated!
Stenort