[R] getting a timeseries element into a string

spencerg spencer.graves at prodsyse.com
Wed Jul 15 02:29:15 CEST 2009

Hello:

      1.  I tried the example.  The first thing I noticed was that
"library(fSeries)" loaded with the following comment:

# The new version of 'fSeries' has been renamed to 'timeSeries'

      2.  With this, I tried "library(timeSeries)".  Then your first
example worked without error.

      3.  This time, "head(ts)" generated an error.  To diagnose it, I
tried "str(ts)".  This generated a summary that I found beautifully
formated but unintelligible.  To understand the object, I then tried
"utils:::str.default(ts)".  This described the object in terms I could
understand.

      4.  Another "heads up":  "ts" is the name of a function in the
"stats" package.  I would avoid creating an object by that name.

      Hope this helps.
      Spencer