[R] ifultools on ppc debian

Moshe Olshansky m_olshansky at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 15 05:31:41 CEST 2009

Hi Stephen,

The error message clearly says what is wrong.
Big Endian and Little Endian are two ways of storing data (mostly often double precision numbers) in memory. A double precision number occupies two blocks of 4 bytes each. On Big Endian machines (most machines which are not Intel) if the memory address of a double precision number is X then it's sign, exponent and more significant part of the mantissa start at address X and the less significant part of the mantissa starts at X+4, while on Little Endian machines (x86 and alike) the less significant part of the mantissa starts at X and the sign, exponent and most significant part of the mantissa start at X+4.
In order to get better performance some programs directly manipulate the bit pattern of the number and to do this correctly they must know whether they are run on a Big Endian or Little Endian machine. So your program is apparently looking at /usr/include/bits/endian.h to check this. You should edit this file and comment (or #undefine) the Endian which is NOT what you got.

Good luck!

Moshe.