[R] configure encoding by default

Duncan Murdoch murdoch at stats.uwo.ca
Wed Jul 15 14:50:10 CEST 2009

On 7/15/2009 8:22 AM, Угодай n/a wrote:
> I want using russian letters for my diagrams. I do it in this manner
>
> m <- "заголовок"
> Encode(m) <- "UTF-8"
> plot(1,1,main=m)
>
> But it is not convenient . How to configure R for using UTF-8 for all
> string, to work without Encode-function, as
>
> plot(1,1,main="заголовок")

You need to set your locale, either at the system level (and R will use
it) or with Sys.setlocale() within a session.  The details of how to
specify that you want UTF-8 characters vary by system; I'm not sure it's
possible in Windows, for instance.  See the R Installation and
Administration manual chapter on internationalization.

Duncan Murdoch