[R] Simulation functions for underdispered Poisson and binomial distributions

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Wed Jul 15 18:01:19 CEST 2009

On Wed, 15 Jul 2009, Shinichi Nakagawa wrote:

> Dear R users
>
> I would like to simulate underdispersed Poisson and binomial distributions
> somehow.
>
> I know you can do this for overdispersed counterparts - using rnbinom() for
> Poisson and rbetabinom() for binomial.
>
> Could anyone share functions to do this? Or please share some tips for
> modifying existing functions to achieve this.

Shinichi,

You really need a model for the underdispersion. Using that model, you
would calculate the probabiltities fo the binomial or Poisson counts.

But you have to come up with something appropriate for your situation.

For example,

 	probs <- prop.table( dbinom( 0:10, 10, .5)^3 )

or

 	probs <- prop.table( dbinom( 0:10, 10, .5) +
 			ifelse( 0:10 == 5, 1, 0) )

will each produce probabilities for counts that are less dispersed than

 	probs <- dbinom( 0:10, 10, 0.5 )

but neither may suitably model the counts for the situation in which you
are interested.

---

Once you have that model in hand

 	sample( 0:10, N, pr=probs, repl=TRUE )