[R] spreadsheet-style autoupdating

Liviu Andronic landronimirc at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 18:45:11 CEST 2009

Dear all,
I am curious whether one can automatically update, say, a column in R,
similar to how spreadsheets (Excel, etc.) do?
In my specific case I have two columns with logical data, which
individually convey different information, although ultimately for a
common purpose (flagging for removal). I would thus need a third
logical variable that would take TRUE if any of the prev. columns take
value TRUE for the given line. Without using RExcel, would there be a
way of automatising this (by "manual" I understand running some code
to recreate the third variable prior to printing it)?

To R purists: I am not sure that this would amount to good programming
habits. Also, this way of thinking comes from my infancy with Excel;
should there be a better approach, please let me know.
Thank you
Liviu