[R] Help with Conditional Logit

Charles C. Berry cberry at tajo.ucsd.edu
Fri Jul 17 17:37:32 CEST 2009

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009, Noah Silverman wrote:

> Thanks for the quick reply.
>
> I found that page and do have the survival package installed.
>
> My problem is that I don't understand a few things:
>     1) What do I input for the "formula" field?  (In RapidMiner, the
> functions don't have this input.)
>     2) How do I indicate which field is the "group ID" for the subset
> grouping?
>     3) How do I indicate which field is the label?
>     4) How do I indicate which fields in my dataset are for training?

Noah,

If you are not well versed in the formula language, reread the Intro to R
and read ?formula.

The ?clogit help page is pretty terse, I see. But it actually has an
example that should guide you:

 	clogit(case~spontaneous+induced+strata(stratum),data=infert)

Try running the example at the bottom of the help page and browse the
'infert' data set to see what it looks like or run 'str(infert)'

===

By now you may have figured this out:

The column 'case' in the infert data.frame is what you mean by 'label' -
it distinguishes the cases from the controls in the infert data.frame and
its name goes on the l.h.s. of the formula

The 'group ID' is defined by the strata() term. see ?strata. It goes on
the r.h.s. of the formula

The 'training' variables are put on the r.h.s. of the formula in addition
to the strata() term.

HTH,

Chuck