[R] Sampling of non-overlapping intervals of variable length

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Sun Jul 19 20:48:11 CEST 2009

On Jul 19, 2009, at 1:05 PM, Hadassa Brunschwig wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope I am not repeating a question which has been posed already.
> I am trying to do the following in the most efficient way:
> I would like to sample from a finite (large) set of integers n non-
> overlapping
> intervals, where each interval i has a different, set length L_i
> (which is the number
> of integers in the interval).
> I had the idea to sample recursively on a vector with the already
> chosen intervals
> discarded but that seems to be too complicated.

It might be ridiculously easy if you sampled on an index of a group of
intervals.
Why not pose the question in the form of example data.frames or other
classes of R objects? Specification of the desired output would be
essential. I think further specification of the sampling strategy
would also help because I am unable to understand what sort of
probability model you are hoping to apply.

> Any suggestions on that?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> Hadassa
>

> --