[R] space in column name

cls59 chuck at sharpsteen.net
Sun Jul 19 21:00:30 CEST 2009

Farrel Buchinsky-3 wrote:

> I sifted some more and read about a workaround for the problem. I could
> simply rename the columns so that there were no more spaces
> names(alltime) <-gsub(" ",".", names(alltime))

That would certainly be a solution. The method I was trying to demonstrate
is that in addition  to using the $ sign syntax, lists and data.frames can
be accessed using strings- much like a hash. In order to do so, you must use
the [[]] or [] methods.

For example, just as you can do the following for a vector:

x <- c(1,3,5)

for( i in 1:length(x) ){

  print( x[ i ] )

}

You could do something similar for your data.frame:

for( i in names(alltime) ){

 print( alltime[[ i ]] )

}

The important thing to note is that if you tried to use alltime$i in the
above loop, you would get a bunch of NULLS as there is no component named
'i'.

Hope that helps!

-Charlie

-----