[R] Can I use "mcnemar.test" for 3*3 tables (or is there a bug in the command?)

Peter Dalgaard p.dalgaard at biostat.ku.dk
Sun Jul 19 22:22:11 CEST 2009

Charles C. Berry wrote:

> The test mcnemar.test() constructs is one of symmetry, which is
> equivalent to marginal homogenity in hierarchical log-linear models as I
> recall from Bishop, Fienberg, and Holland's 1975 opus on count data.

Umm, er... Symmetry in the 3x3 table is a 3DF hypothesis, whereas
marginal homogeneity has 2DF, so unless I'm missing a fine point in the
requirement of "hierarchical log-linear", I'd say that one implies the
other, but not the other way around.

E.g., you can easily check that the following two matrices have the same
homogeneous margins, but only one is symmetric

3 2 1
2 3 2
1 2 3

3 1 2