[R] Hmisc improveProb() function

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Mon Jul 20 13:43:37 CEST 2009

David A.G wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I am trying to work out how the improveProb() function works and how to interpret the results, and I have a few questions. I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on these.
>
> in the Net Reclassification Improvement section of the output, is the 2P column the two-sided p-value for the differences in classification? So if a limit is set at 0.05, then lower values indicate significant differences in the classification of both models?

Correct.  But why use an arbitrary level for 'significance'?

> is the index value the actual percentage of improvement? Could this be negative if there was actually no improvement?

NRI is the difference in two proportions.  You may want to emphasize the
more continuous measure IDI, and a scatterplot relating the two sets of
predicted probabilities.  The calculations are clear from typing the
following at the command prompt:

improveProb
print.improveProb

Frank