[R] dump() an object of type raw ?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Wed Jul 22 05:45:06 CEST 2009

On Jul 21, 2009, at 10:21 PM, Benjamin Tyner wrote:

> Thank you David for taking the time to respond to my question.
> Perhaps I should clarify: the man page says "a 'dump' file can be
> 'source'd"; have I taken the documentation too literally in this case?

I suppose that objects of type raw may not have been given full
provision in the construction of source(). The help page suggests to
me that attributes are not dumped. Perhaps you could be more expansive
about what you are hoping to accomplish?

Does this get any closer?

 > x <- as.numeric( writeBin(pi, raw()) )
[1]  24  45  68  84 251  33   9  64
 > dump("x","x.R")
 > source("/Users/davidwinsemius/x.R")
[1]  24  45  68  84 251  33   9  64
 > as.raw(x)
[1] 18 2d 44 54 fb 21 09 40

Or this: The help page also advises that save() is more appropriate
for R data.

 > x <- writeBin(pi, raw())
 > save("x",file="x.R")
 > load("x.R")
[1] 18 2d 44 54 fb 21 09 40

> David Winsemius wrote:
>>
>> On Jul 21, 2009, at 7:19 PM, Benjamin Tyner wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to do this? I tried
>>>
>>> x <- writeBin(pi, raw())
>>> dump("x","x.R")
>>> source("x.R")
>>>
>>> but is seems x.R is not source()-able, as it contains an
>>> unexpected symbol.
>>>

>> Yes, "2d".I get:
>> > source("/Users/davidwinsemius/x.R")
>> Error in source("/Users/davidwinsemius/x.R") :
>>  /Users/davidwinsemius/x.R:2:8: unexpected symbol
>> 1: x <-
>> 2: c(18, 2d
>>          ^
>>
>> So there was an good faith effort to source the file but the
>> interpreter was not put on notice that it would be getting
>> hexadecimal. The file contains:
>>
>> x <-
>> c(18, 2d, 44, 54, fb, 21, 09, 40)
>>
>> and when you try to execute that from the command line you get:
>>
>> > x <-
>> + c(18, 2d, 44, 54, fb, 21, 09, 40)
>> Error: syntax error
>>
>> (R variable names cannot start with 2 and R wouldn't assume these
>> are hexadecimal numbers.)
>>

>> David Winsemius, MD
>> Heritage Laboratories
>> West Hartford, CT