[R] xyplot axis scaling with dates/times

David Carslaw d.c.carslaw at its.leeds.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 10:50:33 CEST 2009

Dear R users,

I'm trying to get a good x-scale and labels on a plot like the one below.

library(lattice)
## make almost a year of hourly data:

mydat <- data.frame(dates = Sys.time() + 3600 * (1:7000), y = runif(7000))

## plot it

xyplot(y ~ dates, data = mydat, type = "l")

Only one x-label is given (May).  I would prefer several because it makes
the plot very difficult to interpret.
 I then thought I could provide additional tick marks:

xyplot(y ~ dates, data = mydat, type = "l", scales = list(x =
list(tick.number = 10)))

But this has no effect.  While I can set ticks at specific points (and
labels) this is difficult because a wide range of time intervals are used.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

David

-----