[R] setting up LMER for repeated measures and how do I get a p value for my fixed effect, group?

John Sorkin jsorkin at grecc.umaryland.edu
Thu Jul 23 17:02:38 CEST 2009

R 2.8.1
Windows XP

I am trying to analyze repeated measures data (the data are listed at the end of this Email message) and I need help to make sure that I have properly specified my model, and would like to know why lmer does not return a p value for Group, my fixed effect.

My subjects are divided into two groups (variable GROUP), individual subjects are indicated by the variable SS, Value is the outcome measure, each subject has Value measured three times.

I have used the following code:

fit1<-lmer(Value~Group+(1|SS),data=smallDS)
print(fit1)

Linear mixed model fit by REML
Formula: Value ~ Group + (1 | SS)
   Data: Dataset
   AIC   BIC logLik deviance REMLdev
 284.8 290.4 -138.4    291.4   276.8
Random effects:
 Groups   Name        Variance Std.Dev.
 SS       (Intercept) 1038.0   32.218
 Residual              552.7   23.510
Number of obs: 30, groups: SS, 10

Fixed effects:
                        Estimate Std. Error t value
(Intercept)               152.87      15.63   9.778
Group[T.ContSIRNAnoEGF]   -15.87      22.11  -0.718

Correlation of Fixed Effects:
            (Intr)
G[T.CSIRNAE -0.707

Questions:
(1) Have I set up lmer properly to analyze the repeated measures data?
(2) How can I get a p value for Group, my fixed effect?

      Group SS Value
 [1,]     2  1   127
 [2,]     2  1   179
 [3,]     2  1   159
 [4,]     2  2   186
 [5,]     2  2   173
 [6,]     2  2   178
 [7,]     2  3   117
 [8,]     2  3   116
 [9,]     2  3    70
[10,]     2  4   176
[11,]     2  4   149
[12,]     2  4   138
[13,]     2  5   100
[14,]     2  5   105
[15,]     2  5    82
[16,]     1  6   142
[17,]     1  6   195
[18,]     1  6   222
[19,]     1  7   218
[20,]     1  7   178
[21,]     1  7   147
[22,]     1  8   135
[23,]     1  8   162
[24,]     1  8   177
[25,]     1  9   104
[26,]     1  9   102
[27,]     1  9   121
[28,]     1 10   135
[29,]     1 10   121
[30,]     1 10   134

John David Sorkin M.D., Ph.D.
Chief, Biostatistics and Informatics
University of Maryland School of Medicine Division of Gerontology
Baltimore VA Medical Center
10 North Greene Street
GRECC (BT/18/GR)
Baltimore, MD 21201-1524
(Phone) 410-605-7119

Confidentiality Statement:
This email message, including any attachments, is for th...{{dropped:6}}