[R] error message: .Random.seed is not an integer vector but

(Ted Harding) Ted.Harding at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 23 18:23:13 CEST 2009

On 23-Jul-09 16:08:17, Jim Bouldin wrote:
>> Jim Bouldin wrote:
>> > Thank you.  However, when I tried that, I got this message:
>>
>> > Warning message:
>> > In rm(.Random.seed) : variable ".Random.seed" was not found
>>
>> In that case, have you attached some package that has its own
>> .Random.seed?
>> Try to find where the current .random.seed comes from R complains
>> about.
>>
>> Uwe Ligges
>
> No, there are no attached packages, just the ones that load
> automatically. The R commander has some type of RNG but it is not
loaded.  Completely stumped.

Follow-up to my previous reply (just posted). Having read the other

  rm(.Random.seed)
  set.seed(54321)         ## (Or your favourite magic number) [*]
  x = as.vector(c(1:12))  ## To reproduce your original code ... !
  sample(x,3)

[*] When you did rm(.Random.seed) as suggested by Uwe, the variable
.Random.seed was lost, so you have to create it again.

If, after the above, you still get the problem, then something is
very seriously wrong.

Ted.

Fax-to-email: +44 (0)870 094 0861
Date: 23-Jul-09                                       Time: 17:23:09