[R] dimension trouble for a matrix

Erin Hodgess erinm.hodgess at gmail.com
Thu Jul 23 20:12:52 CEST 2009

Dear R People:

I'm having trouble with something that should be very simple.

I'm setting up a matrix outside of a loop and writing items into it
during the loop.

Here is the output:

> glob3b("sites.info")
dim 27 3
[1] "/raid1/osg-app"
Error in xy[i, ] : incorrect number of dimensions

Here is the function:
> glob3b
function(xx) {
      x.df <- read.table(xx,header=FALSE,as.is=TRUE,sep="\t")
n1 <- nrow(x.df)
xy <- matrix(rep("",n1*3),nrow=n1,ncol=3)
   cat("dim",dim(xy),"\n")
for(i in 1:n1) {
        xz <- paste("globus-job-run ",x.df[i,2]," /bin/sh -c 'echo $OSG_APP'",
	   sep="")
	xw <- system(xz,intern=TRUE)
	if(length(xw)>0) {
	xy[i,1:2] <- x.df[i,1:2]
	print(xw)
	cat(i,xy[i,],"\n")
	cat(i,length(xw),dim(xw),"\n")
	xy[i,3] <- xw
	}
}
	return(xy)
}

I have no idea what's wrong.  This should run like clockwork.  Any
help is much appreciated.  By the way, this is NOT homework!

Thanks,
Sincerely,
Erin

--