[R] computing the radius of an arc

Bert Gunter gunter.berton at gene.com
Fri Jul 24 05:48:53 CEST 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: r-help-bounces at r-project.org [mailto:r-help-bounces at r-project.org] On
Behalf Of Gabor Grothendieck
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 7:33 PM
To: Nair, Murlidharan T
Cc: r-help at stat.math.ethz.ch
Subject: Re: [R] computing the radius of an arc

See ?draw.arc in the plotrix package to draw an arc.

-- Yes, but if I understand the query, the hard part is determining what arc
to draw. This in turn requires understanding how the curve is defined-- is
it defined in closed form mathematically, or does Murli seek a fit that is
an arc of a circle to a sample of data? If the former, this is a problem in
calculus or perhaps differential geometry, not statistics, and that's where
you'd look for methodology. "Best approximates" needs to be defined, too
(what's the distance function?). So all in all, at least as I understand it,
the question seems incoherent, incapable of being answered.

Bert Gunter
Genentech Nonclinical Statistics

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 10:13 PM, Nair, Murlidharan T<mnair at iusb.edu> wrote:
> Hi!!
>
> I am interesting in computing the radius of an arc that best approximates
a curve. Is there an R function that I can use to draw an arc?