[R] SweaveOpts(eval=false) not working - CORRECTION

Friedrich Leisch friedrich.leisch at stat.uni-muenchen.de
Fri Jul 24 12:30:38 CEST 2009

  > On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 3:04 PM, Duncan Murdoch<murdoch at stats.uwo.ca> wrote:
  >> On 23/07/2009 8:58 AM, Rainer M Krug wrote:
  >>>
  >>> Hi
  >>>
  >>> I hope this is the right mailing list - if not, could you please refer
  >>> me to a mora appropriate?
  >>>
  >>> My question:
  >>>
  >>> I am using sweave (in LyX with beamer) for a lecture and I would like
  >>> to evaluate the R code chunks for the handout, but not for the
  >>> presentation.
  >>> I thought that I can use \SweaveOpts(eval=FALSE) to set this option
  >>> for all code chunks, but it is still evaluating them and showing the
  >>> output. If I set this option separately for each chunk(i.e.
  >>> <<eval=FALSE>>=), it is, as expected, not evaluating.
  >>>
  >>> Am I doing something wrong here or is there a bug in sveawe, so that
  >>> it is not axcepting eval=FALSE as a global option?
  >>
  >> Looks like you used parentheses () instead of braces {} in the \SweaveOpts
  >> line.  Even though LaTeX never sees it, it uses LaTeX-like syntax.

  > Sorry - typo in the email. In the preamble, it says:

  >  \SweaveOpts{keep.source=FALSE, echo=TRUE, eval=FALSE, height=4}

I cannot reproduce the problem, the minimal Rnw file

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\SweaveOpts{keep.source=FALSE, echo=TRUE, eval=FALSE, height=4}

\begin{document}

<<>>=
print(1:10)
@

\end{document}

produces as expected

\documentclass[a4paper]{article}

\usepackage{Sweave}
\begin{document}

\begin{Schunk}
\begin{Sinput}
> print(1:10)
\end{Sinput}
\end{Schunk}

\end{document}

for me, no evaluation happening. If I change to eval=TRUE then I get
printed output.

Best,
Fritz

Prof. Dr. Friedrich Leisch

Institut für Statistik                          Tel: (+49 89) 2180 3165
Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität                  Fax: (+49 89) 2180 5308
Ludwigstraße 33
D-80539 München                     http://www.statistik.lmu.de/~leisch