[R] String manipulations

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Fri Jul 24 17:53:04 CEST 2009

On Jul 24, 2009, at 10:35 AM, Peng Yu wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am looking for a reference page that gives me a complete list of R
> string manipulation operations. At this moment, I am looking for
> something like basename and dirname. The following webpage doesn't
> give me any information. Can somebody point me a better resource?
>
> http://wiki.r-project.org/rwiki/doku.php?id=rdoc:base:basename
>
> Regards,
> Peng

I am not sure that you will find a single consolidated list that
contains such functions for 'base R', much less for one that includes
even popular CRAN packages.

Two suggestions:

1. Use help.search() with a keyword such as 'string' or 'character'.
This will bring up a list of functions in your current R installation
that contain that keyword and related/fuzzy matches.  In this
particular case, it will bring up matches that are relevant and others
that may not be.

2. Use RSiteSearch() with a keyword will search online documents and
list archives, again using a keyword based search. This expands the
scope of the search to include references that may not be part of your
current installation, potentially pointing you to solutions posted by
others over the years as well as relevant CRAN packages and functions.

In your specific quest, using help.search("basename") will bring you
to the R function of the same name and on the same help page is
dirname(). More general references will be found using 'file' as the
keyword for file related functions.

HTH,

Marc Schwartz