[R] How to test frequency independence (in a 2 by 2 table) with many missing values

Robert A LaBudde ral at lcfltd.com
Fri Jul 24 20:16:20 CEST 2009

1. Drop all subjects where both test results are not present. These
are uninformative on the difference.

2. Perform McNemar test on the remaining table. (Only the different
pairs are informative.)

This will give you a p-value on the data that actually contrasts the
two tests. (For your example, the p-value is

 > X2<- data.frame(x1.m, x2.m)
 > tX2<- table(X2)
 > tX2
     x2.m
x1.m  0  1
    0  6  5
    1 15  4
 > mcnemar.test(tX2)

         McNemar's Chi-squared test with continuity correction

data:  tX2
McNemar's chi-squared = 4.05, df = 1, p-value = 0.04417

The low power is a consequence of the data not being informative.
You'll have to live with it.

If you want to squeeze any more out this data, I'd guess about the
only way to do it would be via a maximum likelihood approach with
marginals for the one test only data, an assumption of, e.g., a
binomial distribution for each test, and then use a likelihood ratio
test for p1=p2 vs. p1!=p2.

If you really feel up to it, you could program a randomization or
bootstrap test equivalent to the ML approach, maintaining the
marginal totals involved.