[R] reading jpeg images?

Robert L Biddle robert_biddle at carleton.ca
Tue Jul 28 14:18:05 CEST 2009

   Can someone advise me what the most sensible way is to read jpeg images?

   For our work with image analysis and eye-tracking we have been using the
   rimage package, on both Macs and Windows PCs. But while setting up a new
   Windows machine yesterday, I see that rimage is regarded as orphaned, and no
   Windows binary is available. I eventually found an old zip file for the
   package,  so  I am not stuck, but I wonder what the right way is to go
   forward. I did find the readimages package, but it also seemed problematic
   to install on both Windows on Mac, requiring extra software that it was
   itself unclear how to install.

   Is there some simpler solution I should be looking at?

   Are jpeg files so probematic I should be converting them to some other
   format and using a different package to read that?

   Thanks

   Robert Biddle