[R] vary the parameters for a function

Greg Snow Greg.Snow at imail.org
Tue Jul 28 18:04:27 CEST 2009

If you want to have a gui that allows you to change parameter values using buttons/sliders/etc. and see what the effects are, then look at the tkexamp function in the TeachingDemos package (see the examples on the help page).

If you have a predetermined set of values for the parameter of interest and want to run the function multiple times with those values (and other set values), then try mapply.  Here is an example using the power.t.test function to find the power for different sample sizes (and a fixed delta of 0.3, everything else at its default):

> tmp <- mapply(power.t.test, n=c(10,20,30,50), MoreArgs=list(delta=0.3))
> unlist(tmp['power',])
[1] 0.09271619 0.15031255 0.20689369 0.31751712

Hope this helps,

--
Gregory (Greg) L. Snow Ph.D.
Statistical Data Center