[R] R Packages and Permanent Datasets creation

Philipp Pagel p.pagel at wzw.tum.de
Wed Jul 29 16:47:44 CEST 2009

On Tue, Jul 28, 2009 at 11:13:11PM -0700, rajclinasia wrote:
> Actually while opening R console and R commander we see some packages like
> car and datasets. In these packages we have default datasets.
> For example: "Women" and "Prestige" so on. Now we created a "Sales" dataset
> importing either from excel, xml or text file. Now we are trying to store
> that dataset permanently  in any one of the packages mentioned above (car or
> datasets). I am able to create them temporarily untill that pirticular
> session.
>
> But once we close the session and try to log into R Console and R Commander.
> We are not able to find the earlier created datasets "Sales" in the packages
> (Car and Datasets). Kindly suggest how to create permanent datasets in
> packages and also suggest how to create our own packages.

A similar question has been asked very recently by someone else - are
you guys related in any way? (e.g. takeing the same class or
something).

Gavin already pointed out that adding to other peoples packages can
(should) not be done - at least not cleanly. He has also pointed out
save and load so your problem is probably solved. On the other hand,
there could be more to your question, so I'd like to ask WHY you would
like to add your own dataset to an exisiting package. Are you simply
interested in having you data available in the next session or do you
have something else in mind (e.g. distributing the data to others).

cu
	Philipp

--
Dr. Philipp Pagel
Lehrstuhl für Genomorientierte Bioinformatik