[R] PDF Compression

Frank E Harrell Jr f.harrell at vanderbilt.edu
Thu Jul 30 16:36:10 CEST 2009

Eduardo Leoni wrote:
> PDF created by R is in vector format. If you really want smaller files
> you can try creating PNGs instead. With a high enough resolution (e.g.
> dpi=600) there won't be much difference in the printed version of your
> document.
>
> -eduardo

Eduardo,

It is not a good idea in general to use a non-scalable graphics
solution.  In general png can be larger than pdf but other disadvantages
are more important.

When I have created curves in R that are composed of thousands of data
points, the compression of pdf I've achieved with pdftk has been amazing.

Frank