[R] Looping through R objects with $ operator and tags

Vivek Ayer vivek.ayer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 30 18:04:04 CEST 2009

Hi all,

Suppose I want to set the values in a column to the log of the values
of another column like so:

object$LogDist <- log10(object$Distance)

How do I loop through the objects if I have object1, object2, etc to
perform this function?

object1$LogDist <- log10(object1$Distance)
object2$LogDist <- log10(object2$Distance)
object3$LogDist <- log10(object3$Distance)

I was trying to use the assign and paste functions like so:

for (i in c(1:10))
assign(paste("object",i,"$LogDist"),log10(as.name(paste("object",i,"$LogDist")))

but that didn't work out. It creates objects with whole name
object1$LogDist instead of just manipulating the column that's part of
that object.

Help appreciated,
Vivek