[R] Trouble with R proxy

ehxpieterse eduard.pieterse at macquarie.com
Fri Jul 31 09:55:37 CEST 2009

Hi there,

I am having some trouble getting download.file to work. I have been
searching for the answer but my raw coding ability is not at the same level
as the solutions I am getting.

I have checked my environment and the proxy settings are in line with what I
expected:

> Sys.getenv("http_proxy")
                 http_proxy
"http://proxy-lon2.macbank"
> Sys.getenv("USERNAME")
  USERNAME
"epieters"

I then use a quantmod function, getSymols("GOOG"). I am very close to
getting a result, because I am promted with a input box for a username and
password. Unfortunately I get the following error once I have entered both:

Proxy authentication failed:
        please re-enter the credentials or hit Cancel
Error in download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,
:
  cannot open URL
'http://chart.yahoo.com/table.csv?s=GOOG&a=0&b=01&c=2007&d=6&e=31&f=2009&g=d&q=q&y=0&z=GOOG&x=.csv'
In addition: Warning message:
In download.file(paste(yahoo.URL, "s=", Symbols.name, "&a=", from.m,  :
  cannot open: HTTP status was '407 Proxy Authentication Required'

Can someone please point me in the right direction? I feel like I am really
close in getting this to work.

Many thanks,
Eduard