[R] Preparing for multi-core CPUs and parallel processing applications

Dirk Eddelbuettel edd at debian.org
Fri Jul 31 16:26:55 CEST 2009

Steve,

Martin already mentioned r-sig-hpc and the HPC task view for the bulk of your
questions. The Schmidbger et al paper (linked from the Task View) should
address a few of your questions.

Just two more quick add-ons:

On 31 July 2009 at 09:22, Steve_Friedman at nps.gov wrote:
| 5)  Can we take advantage of sharing the graphics CPU, via R CUDA, in a
| parallel distributed shared cluster of dedicated machines ?

Besides the somewhat exploratory package 'gputools' from U Mich (linked from
the Task View), there is no 'R CUDA' yet.

| 7)  I currently have a laptop with Ubuntu with R Version 2.6.2
| (2008-02-08). What is the most recent R version for Ubuntu and what is the
| installation procedure ?

The newest is R 2.9.1, see http://cran.r-project/bin/linux/ubuntu which
explains things in more detail. For more questions, come to the r-sig-debian
list is for Debian and Ubuntu specific questions.  Debian and Ubuntu do have
good support for Rmpi etc.

| These are just the initial questions that I'm sure to have.  If these are
| being directed to the wrong help pages, I'm sorry to have taken your time.
| If you would be so kind as to direct me to the more appropriate help site
| I'd appreciate your assistance.

There are 'special interest group' mailing lists for HPC (see above),
Debian/Ubuntu and for geographic / spatial modelling.

Hth, Dirk