[R] Plot and lm

Par Leijonhufvud par at hunter-gatherer.org
Thu Jun 4 19:47:57 CEST 2009

stephen sefick <ssefick at gmail.com> [2009.06.04] wrote:
> Could you provide a reproducible example even with fake data would be
> fine or dput() yours.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Im my post was the first 8 lines of
my data, imported into R with

islands <- read.table("islands.csv", sep=",", h=T)

and the code was a cut-and-past from my .Rhistory. When I run it I get a
nice graph, but no line from abline (unless it is vertical or horizontal
and "superimposed" uppon one of the axes)... Which turns out ot be the
case:

Just running lm I get

> lm(mass~area)

Call:
lm(formula = mass ~ area)

Coefficients:
(Intercept)         area
  3.615e+02    5.967e-05

> lm(logmass~logarea)

Call:
lm(formula = logmass ~ logarea)

Coefficients:
(Intercept)      logarea
    -1.3480       0.4747

Forcing the graph with ylim=c(0,001,100000000) I see a line from the latter,
but (no surprise) none from the former. Now I just need to fix my
assumptions such that I produce a line that is an actual regession
line...

Thanks for making me think it through!

/Par

Par Leijonhufvud                               par at hunter-gatherer.org
The best comment I heard about Starship Troopers was "Based on the back cover
of a book by RAH".
		-- Paul Tomblin