[R] stars (as fourfold plots) in plot (symbols don't work)

maiya maja.zaloznik at gmail.com
Sun Jun 7 00:03:15 CEST 2009

Hi!

I have a dataset with three columns -the first two refer to x and y
coordinates, the last one are odds ratios.
I'd like to plot the data with x and y coordinates and the odds ratio shown
as a fourfold plot, which I prefer to do using the stars function.

Unfortunately the stars option in symbols is not as cool as the stars
function on its own, and now i can't figure out how to do it!

here's an example code:
#data
test<-cbind(c(1,2,3,4), c(1,2,3,4), c(2,4,8,16))
#this is what I want the star symbol to look like
stars(cbind(1,sqrt(test[1,3]), 1, sqrt(test[1,3])),
col.segments=c("gray90", "gray"),draw.segments=TRUE, scale=FALSE)
#this is what happens when using stars in symbols
symbols(test[,1], test[,2], stars=cbind(1,sqrt(test[,3]), 1,
sqrt(test[,3])))

Can anyone set me on the right path please?

Maja