[R] how to use "lapplyBy" function of "doBy" package

Gabor Grothendieck ggrothendieck at gmail.com
Tue Jun 9 04:34:49 CEST 2009

Here are four ways:

# using lapplyBy - DF is already sorted by group
library(doBy)
f <- function(x) {
	x$traits[is.na(x$traits)] <- mean(x$traits, na.rm = TRUE)
}
do.call(rbind, lapplyBy(~ group, DF, f))

# using by - same f as before
do.call(rbind, by(DF, DF$group, f))

# using ave - nondestructive
g <- function(x) {
	x[is.na(x)] <- mean(x, na.rm = TRUE)
}
transform(DF, traits = ave(DF$traits, DF$group, FUN = g))

# using ave - same but modifies DF - same g as before
DF$traits <- ave(DF$traits, DF$group, FUN = mean.na)