[R] Sweave and accents

Arnau Mir Torres arnau.mir at uib.es
Tue Jun 9 18:07:50 CEST 2009

Hello.

I want to write my notes in Sweave in my own language (spanish). But
my language has accents and when I run Sweave in R to translate my Snw
file into the tex file the accents are translated into unrecognizable
characters.
For example, the word "camión" (truck) is translated into "camión"

Somebody knows how can I do it?

One solution I don't like is using a perl program to substitute my
accented letters into "normal" accents in LaTeX in my Snw file before
running Sweave.  That is:

á -> \'a
é -> \'e

The problem is when I run the spelling program, it doesn't work
because the spelling doesn't recognize the words with "normal" accents.

There is a solution but it is tedious:

1)  substitute the accented letters letter into "normal" accents in
LaTeX.
2) run Sweave and create the tex file.
3) subtitute the "normal" accents into the accented letters in the tex
file.

My question is:
Is there another way to do it?

Arnau.