[R] Comparing R and SAs

Vadlamani, Satish {FLNA} SATISH.VADLAMANI at fritolay.com
Tue Jun 9 18:14:30 CEST 2009

Hi:
For those of you who are adept at both SAS and R, I have the following questions:

a) What are some reasons / tasks for which you would use R over SAS and vice versa?
b) What are some things for which R is a must have that SAS cannot fulfill the requirements?

I am on the ramp up on both of them. The general feeling that I am getting by following this group is that R updates to the product are at a much faster pace and therefore, this would be better for someone who wants the bleeding edge (correct me if I am wrong). But I am also interested in what is inherently better in R that SAS cannot offer perhaps because of the design.

Thanks.
Satish