[R] generating new data with for loop

Gordon J Holtslander gordon.holtslander at usask.ca
Tue Jun 9 23:11:17 CEST 2009

I'm new at R ...
I've not done for loops in R - so this is very new to me.

One of our students has a data frame that contains two columns data

1. unixtime time of an event (in unix time - #of seconds)
2. duration of event in seconds.

We need to create new data - the unixtime (seconds) that these events
occurred.

We want to create a for loop  (or nested for loops) that goes through the
first column, and then creates a new unixtime value for each second of
duration for that event

In a single row of data -
if the duration was three seconds one iteration of this loop should create
these values

unixtime
unixtime = unixtime +1
unixtime = unixtime +1
unixtime = unixtime +1

I need these four data values (and all the successive data values created by
the loop(s)) saved into a new dataframe

How do I get R to create a new data object and add data to it on each
interation of the for loop.

My test for loops only save the data from last iteration of the loop.

Am I missing something really simple?

Any recommended reference on loop and control structures in R?

Thanks,

Gord
--
Gordon J. Holtslander