[R] Using yum to install R-2.9

Marc Schwartz marc_schwartz at me.com
Wed Jun 10 17:31:27 CEST 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 9:53 AM, Saptarshi Guha wrote:

> Hello,
> On Fedora 8, yum install R , installs R-2.6.
> I dont have much experience with yum, how do change the repos(?) to
> install R-2.9?
>
> Thank you
> Saptarshi

Upgrade to a still supported version of Fedora. Fedora 8 went EOL back
in January, which means that you have been without *any* updates (bug
fixes, kernel updates, security patches, etc.) since then.

With the release of Fedora 11 this week, Fedora 9 will go EOL in about
a month, at which point, only Fedora 10 and 11 will be actively
supported. If you are going to ride the Fedora train, you need to be
willing to update your Fedora distribution relatively frequently. The
current Fedora release and support schedule will generally allow you
to skip one release, but not two. So if you are going to upgrade, you
will want to move to at least Fedora 10.

You could try to download and install the appropriate 32 or 64 bit F9
RPMs that Martyn prepares here:

   http://cran.r-project.org/bin/linux/redhat/fedora9/

But it may have F9 dependencies that can put you on a slippery slope
of satisfying certain dependencies. I have not looked at the spec file.

BTW, there is a Fedora specific R e-mail list: