[R] help installing Rmpi

ALAN SMITH alansmith2 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 11 23:46:12 CEST 2009

Hello R users and developers,
I would like to install Rmpi so that I may take advantage of all of
the CPUs in my computer, but I cannot get it to install and I am not
very good with linux so it is adding to the headache.  I have looked
through the help archive, but I have not been successful at getting
Rmpi to work.  I am not sure if I am even installing openMPI correctly
in linux.  I would really like to get Rmpi to work so that I can take
advantage of libraries that use Rmpi and more importantly reduce my
computation time from several days to maybe a day.
I am using fedora 11 (64-bit) on a AMD phenom III (AM3) system and I
am not an expert at linux so I run into trouble compiling and
installing software out of inexperience.
I would truly appreciated it if someone could please provide me with
some instructions on how to get openMPI installed correctly on
Fedora11 and Rmpi to work?
I have included the processes I attempted below.
Thank you,
Alan Smith

#####################  what I have attempted so far ################
#I have tried two different ways to install openMPI in fedora in the linux shell
#in the linux shell
cd Download
wget http://www.open-mpi.org/software/ompi/v1.3/downloads/openmpi-1.3.2.tar.gz
tar -xzf openmpi*
cd openmpi*
./configure
make
make install

#AND
#in the linux shell
cd Download
wget ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/fedora/releases/11/Everything/x86_64/os/Packages/openmpi-1.3.1-1.fc11.x86_64.rpm
sudo yum install openmpi-devel
# I find the program in this path /usr/lib64/openmpi/1.3.1-gcc/openmpi

#I then try to install Rmpi using two methods neither of which work
#Using the linux shell I have tried
wget http://cran.r-project.org/src/contrib/Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz
R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz
#and
R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz
--configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib64/openmpi/1.3.1-gcc
R CMD INSTALL Rmpi_0.5-7.tar.gz --configure-args=--with-mpi=/usr/lib64/openmpi/
#All of these attempt lead to error cannot find mpi head file and tell
me to use  "with-mpi=path/to/mpi" or specify the MPI_ROOT which I
clearly cant find

#I have also tried this in R using
install.packages("Rmpi")
#but it gives the same error.

sessionInfo()
R version 2.9.0 (2009-04-17)
x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
locale:
LC_CTYPE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NUMERIC=C;LC_TIME=en_US.UTF-8;LC_COLLATE=en_US.UTF-8;LC_MONETARY=C;LC_MESSAGES=en_US.UTF-8;LC_PAPER=en_US.UTF-8;LC_NAME=C;LC_ADDRESS=C;LC_TELEPHONE=C;LC_MEASUREMENT=en_US.UTF-8;LC_IDENTIFICATION=C
attached base packages:

Alan Smith