[R] formula for degrees of freedom for nonlinear mixed model in nlme

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Fri Jun 12 05:08:59 CEST 2009

On Jun 11, 2009, at 8:47 PM, Ben Bolker wrote:

> David Winsemius wrote:
>>

>> The FAQ 7.35 links to this posting:
>>
>> https://stat.ethz.ch/pipermail/r-help/2006-May/094765.html
>>

> Actually, this is a different question from the usual "why don't I
> get denominator df?" question -- it is "how are these calculated"
> (since the poster is using nlme, not (n)lmer).  The answer in this
> case is "check Pinheiro and Bates 2000" -- I don't remember the
> page number exactly, looks like it's page 91 -- see Google books:
> <http://tinyurl.com/ntygq3>
>
> If the denominator df don't agree with your intuition, you can
> always recompute p-values with the appropriate den df:
> (two-tailed) 2*pt(abs(t.score),df=dendf,lower.tail=FALSE)

Point well taken. So neither my citation nor page 91 (which also deals
with LME models) are on point to the OP's question. P & B say that
inference regarding  covariates in nlme models (which i believe was
the question posed) are generally Wald statistics, and so don't really
have denominator degrees of freedom, only numerators DFs.  The
numerator is then the observation count minus the model degrees of
freedom. See  365-368 which deals with the sort of nlme model about
which the OP is asking. A method for generating an anova analysis is
also demonstrated on page 374.

David Winsemius, MD
Heritage Laboratories
West Hartford, CT