[R] Comparative evaluation studies of R packages and functions. Was: Re: a proposal regarding documentation

Ravi Varadhan rvaradhan at jhmi.edu
Mon Jun 15 01:01:16 CEST 2009

Hi Spencer,

You have brought up an important topic.  I agree with you that a comparative evaluation of R packages providing similar capabilities is a worthwhile task.  Your example of "gam" is a very good one.  Let me give you a couple of other examples of comparative evaluation that I am working on: (1) optimization - John Nash and I are currently doing this for basic "optimization" packages. By basic optimization, I am referring to the optimization of smooth functions, with box-constarints or no constraints, (2) smoothing or non-parametric regression. I am currently comparing some smoothers for their ability to accurately estimate functions and their first 2 derivatives from discretely sampled data (in terms of mean integrated squared error).

Comparative studies, if conducted rigorously and objectively by independent folks not associated with packages, are likely to be very useful to R users. The new R Journal would be a natural avenue to disseminate the results of comparative studies.  I can think of some criteria for comparing packages or functions (in different packages) that are meant for essentially similar tasks (e.g. the 2 gam functions):

1.  Ease of use and misuse
2.  Documenation and examples
3.  Transparency of coding (this would give more weight to "all-R" functions and packages as opposed to C/Fortran interfaces)
4.  Theoretical foundation
5.  Performance on simulated examples designed to highlight potential trouble spots
6.  Actual performance on real problems.
7.  Identification of "niche" areas for each package, i.e. things that no other package can do or do as well.

Best,
Ravi.

Ravi Varadhan, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor,