[R] Statistically detecting thresholds...

Jonathan Greenberg greenberg at ucdavis.edu
Tue Jun 16 23:23:31 CEST 2009

Rers:

I have some ecological data (stream velocity vs. % cover of submerged
weeds) that shows strong evidence of a thresholding step-function, e.g.
below some velocity, % cover ranges from 0% to 100% (with no apparent
relationship to velocity within this range of velocities), but above a
certain "threshold" velocity, the % cover does not appear to exceed,
say, 10%.  There are good mechanistic reasons for believing there is a
step function there, so I'm trying to determine the velocity position
and significance of this threshold.  I came up with the following
approach, but I was hoping to find out if there is a more "standardized"
way of doing this:

1) Give small velocity steps ranging from 0 to max velocity,  classify
all samples (% cover vs. velocity) into "above threshold" and "below
threshold".
2) Perform a t-test on these two groups, store the p-value to an array,
building up a database of p-value vs. velocity threshold.
3) Determine the minimum p-value from the previous step, which should be
the velocity threshold -- the p-value at this threshold is the
significance of the threshold.

Does this make sense?  Is there a better way of doing this?  When I ran
this on the data, you see a nice, nearly parabolic relationship around
what the threshold appears to be of p-value vs. threshold.

--j

--

Jonathan A. Greenberg, PhD
Postdoctoral Scholar