[R] tiff() woes

Federico Calboli f.calboli at imperial.ac.uk
Wed Jun 17 18:29:26 CEST 2009

Hello all,

a friend has a problem with tiff() which I was unable to help about. I
searched the error messages to no avail. When he tries:

tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 5, height =
5, units = "cm", bg = "white", res = 1200)
Error in tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width =
5,  :
  unable to start device
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 5,  :
  Unable to allocate bitmap
2: In tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 5,  :
  opening device failed

Same for

tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 20, height
= 20, units = "cm", bg = "white", res = 300)
Error in tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width =
5,  :
  unable to start device
In addition: Warning messages:
1: In tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 5,  :
  Unable to allocate bitmap
2: In tiff(filename = "FedeWhyDoesntThisBloodyWork.tif", width = 5,  :
  opening device failed

This second example runs on my Mac (I did not try the first), so we
are at loss why windows would not run the very same code. Any ideas? I
can see that setting the resolution very high (as for the forst
example) might not work, but the *windows only* failure of the second
example is strange. I suspect cairo *could* be an issue, but that's as
far as I can guess on sobody else's intallation.

Best,

Federico

--
Federico C. F. Calboli
Department of Epidemiology and Public Health

Tel +44 (0)20 75941602   Fax +44 (0)20 75943193

f.calboli [.a.t] imperial.ac.uk
f.calboli [.a.t] gmail.com