[R] function to determine to which class/category a value belongs to?

David Winsemius dwinsemius at comcast.net
Thu Jun 18 01:30:59 CEST 2009

You might want to experiment with:

  ql <- cut( fam$I[fam$I>0], breaks =  quantile( fam$I[fam$I>0],
type=1) , right=FALSE)
  levels(ql) <- c("1stQ","2ndQ","3rdQ","4thQ")
  ql

cut() returns a factor. If you accept the default for the right
parameter in cut, you will be pulling your hair out when dealig with a
discrete variable.

On Jun 17, 2009, at 6:24 PM, Germán Bonilla wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a simple contingency table produced with table(), and the
> upper and
> lower quartiles (quantile25 and quantile75) for the same dataset.
> Is there a function that tells me in which category does the value
> of the
> quartile falls into?

I cannot quite parse this sentence. See if the example gives a
meaningful result with your data, and read the help pages for quantile.