[R] Running a function through a vector with the scalars as arguments

Economics Guy economics.guy at gmail.com
Thu Jun 18 02:09:21 CEST 2009

I have a vector of probabilities that I would like to feed to rbinom()
and have it return a 1 or 0 for each element. I have tried simply
using the entire vector as the argument hoping R would understand.
Instead I get a scalar:

theProbs <- runif(10,0,1)
youreON <- rbinom(1, 1, theProbs)

Next I tried using the apply function but I could not get that to work either:

youreON2 <- lapply(probsFoo,rbinom, n=1, size=1, prob=theProbs))

I normally would just write a loop to run down the vector and spit out
the new vector but I am trying to learn to live without loops. Is
there any way to make this work with some flavor of apply?