[R] How to parse and eval a collection of items

Carl Witthoft carl at witthoft.com
Thu Jun 18 23:25:42 CEST 2009

Let's say I have, for some reason, a bunch of scalars (i.e.
single-valued variables) and I want to merge them all into a single
vector of values.  Can someone recommend a better function, or simpler
way, to do so than the following?

Suppose my scalars' names are foo1, foo2, foo3, foo1high, foo2high,
foo3lo2, etc.  Then I can do:

 >ls(pat='foo')->thels

 >mapply(function(x) eval(as.name(thels[x])),seq(1:length(thels)))->vecfoo

I was hoping for some way to avoid creating a function and an *apply
call.  Conceptually, eval(as.name(c(thels)))  which of course doesn't work.

thanks
Carl