[R] Customize axis labels in xyplot

nmset nmset at netcourrier.com
Sat Jun 20 18:13:50 CEST 2009

Hello,

I'm plotting an xyplot where a continuous var recorded every min is plotted
on y, and time expressed as HH:MM:SS on x, as follows :

xaxis=list(tick.number=12,rot=90)
lst=list(x=xaxis)
xyplot(upt$LOAD_1 ~ upt$TIME, data=upt, type=c('g','p', 'r'), scales=lst)

On the x-axis, every time label is drawn and the label quickly become
unreadable as they overlap on each other.

I wished to limit the number of label with 'tick.number=12' but it does not
work as the x values are not treated as a numerical sequence.

How can I limit the number of ticks and labels for a time series expressed
as HH:MM:SS ?

One way might be to convert to mins from an origin, the result would be less
expressive though.

Thank you for any help.